pH in Coco Coir & Ideal pH Level For Coco Coir For Planting
Among the specifications of coco coir, pH is one of the important factors that determine the growth and yield of plants. As a grower, you need to mind this. However, you might get an overload of the abundant information on the Internet and get confused by that. Hence, in this article, CCG will clarify the contents related to this factor.
1. What is pH?
pH stands for the concept of “potential of hydrogen” which is an indicator indicating the activity of H+ ions in solution (also known as pH), an index with a scale from 1 to 14. It reflects properties alkaline or acidic of a certain environment to know if that concentration will be beneficial or harmful to plants.
2. The role of pH in agriculture
In agriculture, pH represents the quality of the living environment of organisms such as plants, animals, etc. Every plant and organism has a suitable pH range for the best growth and development. If the pH is not within that range, it will affect their ability to absorb nutrients and essential elements needed for their growth.
3. What is Coco Coir?
Coir peat is a product extracted from coconut husks. After being processed tannin, lignin, EC, pH to achieve a level suitable for plants, coco coir can be used as an alternative to traditional soil. Thanks to its safe and mild features, coco peat not only contributes to the growth of plants and land reclamation but also helps growers improve their crops with higher efficiency and productivity.
4. pH in Coco Coir
Coir holds water exceptionally well and at the same time provides proper drainage. The pH of the coir medium in the range 5.8 – 6.5 is very suitable for plants.
- Since most plants adapt well to conditions with a pH in the 5.0-7.0 range, coco coir attaining a balanced pH level is an ideal growing medium for plant growth
- Treated coco coir is a beneficial growing substrate that can help balance pH levels and maintain that balance over time.
- Coco coir also saves the cost of liming and saves labor costs.
- Coconut coir improves drainage while retaining moisture
5. What levels of pH are suitable for plants?
There are distinct pH levels that suit each plant:
- For tomato, strawberry, sweet potato, potato, etc.: suitable pH is about 5.5 – 6.5
- For cantaloupe plants, it is suitable for about 6.2 – 6.5
- For cruciferous vegetables, carrots, peppers, onions, the suitable pH is about 6-6.5
6. How to test pH in Coco Coir?
Preparing: pH meter, coco peat and fresh water or demineralized water
Step 1: Mix coco peat and water with the standard ratio 1:1.5
Step 2: Mix well and wait for 1-2 minutes
Step 3: Use the pH meter and dip inside the solution, then record the reading
Step 4: Check the result to see if the level of pH is qualified (standard pH range from 5.8-7)
Note: In order to get an ideal result, test the pH level several times and get the average level.
7. Where to buy high-quality coco peat with stabilized pH?
EnvironSoil is a reputable supplier that provides customers with the finest coir peat products with not only strict production processes but also a standard balanced pH, suitable for growing most plants such as vines, fruits, leafy vegetables to flowers and other crops.